Sunday, January 30, 2011

Helen's Bridge: Visual Narrative

In the beautiful mountains of Asheville, NC. . .
There is Beaucatcher Mountain, a secluded, quiet area overlooking the city

A family lived in these peaceful woods on this mountain.  The mother was named Helen, she had a young daughter.  One night the house is said to have caught fire, her daughter was the only casualty. 


Distraught and inconsolable, Helen went to a nearby bridge.


Unable to cope with her loss. .
Helen hung herself.
Although the bridge is beautiful, visitors are warned.  While you may not see any hauntings during the day.
Once the sun goes down Helen continues to haunt the area, still mourning the loss of her child.  You may find her wandering the area.


And even if you think you got away, car trouble may often be experienced by visitors of Helen's Bridge.







Essay:  I intended the pictures to capture the beauty of the area and the bridge but to also reveal the "spookiness" that can be felt.  I intentionally took the photos around sunset to give a feel of danger impending.  The color of the light and shadows are significant contributors to this.  I took the pictures to try and tell a chronological story but it was left open-ended. Additionally, I intended the pictures to be taken from what looked like what one would see if they were to encounter the story.  Specifically, looking up at the bridge from the ground and looking down the bridge from the top.  If the pictures were re-arranged there would indeed be a different story.  I do believe that film and television likely influenced my pictures but not directly.  The images somewhat faithfully captured the mood but it can't really convey the spookiness of being there.  There was a chill, the sun was setting and I wanted to leave before it got dark!  It can also feel very secluded though it isn't far from town.  I believe one can get a sense of the mood but I could not fully capture it.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, vibrant photographs! Did you use editing software and/or filters? I especially like how you were able to grab the changing time, especially the sunset...quite eerie juxtaposed with the mysterious bridge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this Narrative looked very professional. The picture with the caption : "Although the bridge is beautiful, visitors are warned. While you may not see any hauntings during the day." I thought I saw a shadow of a person in there!?! Did you mean to do that or is that a happenstance? Definitely gives me a little bit of chills thinking about it. The use of taking photos before dark was a great idea! I could feel the dread and sense of uneasiness. I felt like all of your pictures gave the reader a sense of perspective of what was going on. A little creepy. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete